Wednesday, January 11, 2012

So Many Things...

It’s been over a week and so much has happened in the Crazzzzy house. But let me start with the fun stuff…

Spinning news
Last March I bought my spinning wheel. I bit the bullet and got a Schacht Matchless double treadle and I have enjoyed every inch of spinning I have done. It took me a little while before I felt that I was spinning “good” yarn.  You can see my spun yarns here.

I bought a few fleeces last year too. I bought an 8 pound Warhill fleece from SeptemberSmiles on Ravelry; another 7+ pounds of Rambouillet Targhee Polypay Cross from Ranching Traditions on Etsy; and 3.5 pounds of Rambouillet and CVM/Romeldale cross from SisterSheepColorado. My processer, Spinderella’s, blended these together in one batch and left the Warhill by itself in another batch. In the processor’s words, the Rambouillet and CVM/Romeldale was very sound, soft and little to none VM. The Rambouillet Targhee Polypay Cross was not as soft as the first but still a nice fleece. The Warhill was nice but was the coarsest of the fleeces I sent them. They blended the Warhill and the longwool together in one batch and left the Warhill by itself for a second batch. Since the Rambouillet and CVM/Romeldale from SisterSheepColorado was the nicest of them all, they prepared it into roving by itself. I have started spinning it and I can agree, it made a very nice roving to spin from.


I have again signed up for Crown Mountain Farms Fiber Club. I really enjoyed this club last year and it exposed me to fibers and colors that I would not have picked out myself. I am also continuing in the fiber club from Into the Whirled. Cris has such an eye for color combinations and I didn’t get a single one last year that I didn’t like.

Other Yarny Goodness
I guess 2012 is the year of clubs. I have signed up for Blue Moon Fiber Arts Rockin' Sock Club. I should get my first shipment soon. Janell Laidman’s Knitterati Sock Club caught my eye this year too. I think the first shipment for that one will be in February. And of course, who could forget my membership with Tempted’s Yarn Club. I have received three wonderful yarns so far.

On the home front
Lately, my husband and I have had to battle with the Children’s Division for our foster children. We are in the process of adopting a sibling group of four but one of those children is classified as having elevated behavioral needs. You can say that again. Back in November, the team met to decide things about this group. One of the decisions made was to place this one child in a residential facility for a 30-day psychological evaluation. We waited and waited for that day to come. After about two months of waiting, we were finally given a date of December 28. He was there for just a week before we got a call from this child’s caseworker that the division had decided that they no longer wanted children under the age of 12 to be placed in a residential facility for any reason. So, we trotted off to pick him up. Let me just say that the following weekend was one of the worse we had experienced. My husband had to excuse himself from the house a few different times to literally cool off (in about 20 degree weather outside). We are now in the process of working with the Children’s Division to get what they call “intensive in-home services” set up so that we can keep all of these children together and in our home. I don’t know exactly what these services will be but something needs to happen soon. We really want to do everything that we can so that this adoption is successful. We truly love these children!

A contest!
I want to see how many people are actually reading this so I’m offering a prize drawing. I will draw on January 31. I have Spinning Wool:  Beyond the Basics and a skein of sock yarn that I am going to send to someone chosen through random number generator. To be eligible for this drawing, just leave a comment on one of the following:

1.   Let me know which project on the needles I should finish first and why.

2.   Give me an idea of what you do when you are about to lose it with your kids.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Patty :)
    I think you should finish either the Coastal Waters or the Tappan Zee. I just put both of them in my Ravelry queue, and I'd like to see them finished so I can decide which one to cast on for.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn,
    My Tappan Zee is finished! I think this weekend is supposed to be nice and sunny so I plan to take pictures outside. Can't wait to show pictures on here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty, Just started reading your blog. I love your Coastal Waters Cardi. I have been using Love and Logic with my kids: http://www.loveandlogic.com/ They have a lot of free resources. I used to work with kids with special needs in a residential facility. I have the scars to prove it. God bless you for taking these children into your life.

    ReplyDelete