Sunday, January 29, 2012

Finally some finished items!

On the homefront...

This week has been a little different at home. We started with a new therapist for the kids and my husband and I are getting the help that we need for them. He is giving us a lot of new tools to use and explaining them as we go. The techniques he uses is mostly from Nancy Thomas and her methods for parenting children with RAD (Reactive Attachment Disorder). We have been reading a lot of books and learning new strategies. One of the most useful things we have learned so far is to have the kids "strong sit" when they are doing something that they aren't supposed to do. This entails them sitting with legs crossed, arms crossed with hands also crossed in front of them, head held at a neutral level and shoulders relaxed. As the therapist explained, it engages both sides of their brain to be able to sit in this manner but it is also a very relaxed sit that they can keep for a long period of time if they choose to. They are to sit in that position until they are ready to take responsibility for their wrong action and do something to make up for it. Their :restitution can be anything from a shoulder rub to making the bed for a sibling...depending upon the misdeed. So far, this is working for one of the older children. I think it will take longer for the other one.

Other yarny goodness...

I have finished a couple of projects since my last post. My Coastal Waters Cardi is off the needles and I have worn it already. I absolutely love this pattern. The simple cables were very easy and it would be a good project for someone learning to cable. I made this from Madelinetosh MCN (merino, cashmere, nylon) in the Robin's Egg colorway.


The Mira's Cowl that I knit out of my handspun is also off the needles.
 


I have also finished the Tappen Zee. I love this one too. I love the color and the yarn is so squishy soft. It is made from Classic Elite Yarns Magnolia, which is a blend of 70/10 Merino and Silk. If you are looking for a simple cardigan syle sweater, you might want to try this one.

 



I'm still workng on my Knitterati socks and have the first one almost complete. I received the first shipment from my Dyeabolical Fiber Club and was surprised to find some Portugese merino fiber that I had not tried before. It spun up great. I decided to try something else new and plied it with an alpaca, bamboo, merino blend that I had in my stash. I really like the outcome.


I finally took some time to restart the Stripe Study Shawl that Knitting in Circles Podcast group on Ravelry is working on. When I first cast this on, I started it in Briar and Denim from Madelinetosh Pashmina. I wasn't happy with this combination and wanted a darker graty. I got Thunderstorm from a destash on Ravelry and like this much better. The picture that I took shows up much more purple than the Briar really is so you will have to use your imagination.


Classes...

Well, tomorrow I start another semester of nursing school. This will be my last full semester. I will be taking Maternal Health, Leadership in Nursing, and Senior Seminar to start the semester. I'm looking forward to a successful semester and a satisfying career!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to enter the contest from my January 11th post. You might just win!


1 comment:

  1. Love your sweaters! They are both in my Ravelry queue and I already purchased the yarn for Tappan Zee :)

    ReplyDelete